To pin my projects to Pinterest, hover over the picture and a Pin-it Button will magically appear.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Silhouette Card

Happy Monday, my lovely friends! I hope your day is sprightly and sparkly. :o)

I'm sharing a card with you today that I made for a friend. She's going through a long rough patch and I'm of the mind that even the tiniest gestures can plant seeds of joyful hope. Ironically this card was born out of my own frustration with circumstances... but as is always the case, if you forget about yourself and focus on someone else, peace and determination return. With a prayer for the Lord's love and light to shine through this itty bitty gift, here's what I came up with. I can hardly believe I didn't use patterned paper or my Cuttlebug... but that's just how it worked out! Gasp.




Despite my valiant effort, I just couldn't get a photograph that truly captured the simple beauty that shines in person. One of the challenges I had in mind for this required the use of a Christmas cut in a non-Christmas card. (So perfect for this project, since Christmas is all things miraculous and beautiful.) I was all over that, let me tell you. It took a while for the right idea to develop, but I knew I had to use twinkle lights somehow. So I cut the Christmas lights from CAC and altered them into moonbeams riding swirls of divine guidance. I covered them with liquid pearls to give them the pearly, opalescent moonbeam effect. They lead right up to our moon fairy, who is nestled amongst the rhinestone stars, to guide her attention straight to my dear friend. With a flourish of fairy dust, she's already on her way to making Amie's wishes come true. :o) I pop-dotted the entire fairy section for some dimension, as if the swirls and moonbeams are propelling her onward. :o)

Regarding the sentiment, I rarely (if ever) use my own handwriting on cards. But it seemed appropriate here. I wanted her to see my penmanship every time she looks at the card as a stark reminder that I'm right there with her. The close-up picture somewhat shows the sparkles I dabbed over the three sentiments in an attempt to "illuminate" them. I also doodled and highlighted a bit with a sparkle pen around her sparkle-wielding hands and the stars. This final product is my third attempt at this card since yesterday and is a rather huge contrast from my original vision. I think I like this better... there's always a treasure to be found (and shared) when you let love guide you. :o)

Challenges entered:
 * Die Cuttin' Divas (use a Christmas cut for a non-Christmas card)
 * Frosted Designs (Color challenge: Black & White, plus only one other color)
 * Getting Cricky (Penned entries: use pens anywhere on your project)

I'm so thankful for your visit to my blog and I hope you leave here with a trail of pixie dust. :o) (I couldn't resist.)

Key Recipe Components:
 * Cricut cartridges: Create a Critter, Elegant Edges
 * Paper: Bazzill
 * Stamps: Fairy Moon: Floppy Latte Designs; Swirls: Autumn Leaves
 * Clear rhinestone flourish: Recollections
 * Ribbon: Stash
 * Miscellaneous: iRock, Liquid Pearls, Martha Stewart glitter (lapis)

Photobucket

27 comments:

  1. WOW! Just WOW! This card is so stunning, Karen! What a good friend you are...this will definitely plant seeds of hope in your friend. The Christmas lights are such a great touch...I love everything about this beautiful creation! And I am definitely leaving with a trail of pixie dust :)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I don't even know what to say. This is just so, so, so beautiful! And uplifting. And sparkly. I love everything about it. Your friend is so blessed. :)
    Hugs, Nita

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful Splendid lovely creation!!! I just love your card!! I am so happy you took the time to enter your card into our challenge....TFS!!!

    Mistyrose
    Die Cuttin Diva

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. The shades are so perfect together. I used to always use patterned paper and now I am a fan of plain carstock... funny how our tastes and style go through seasons. You friend is going to love it!

    Rebecca
    Getting Cricky DTM
    craftingmisfit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen my friend, this is so you, I love it. Your sweet heart shows through. Your friend will be blessed by your thoughtfulness. Hugs, Pam at http://craftycards4u2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow your card turned out beautiful! I love how you altered the Christmas lights! Great take on the challenge! Thanks for playing along this week at DCD!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *pinches myself to make sure I am really seeing something this beautiful* GASP! I am!!! I am!!! SQUEEEEEEEE!!!

    Sunshine…I am just speechless. This was a COMPLETE surprise! I had no idea you were making a silhouette card!!! *is furious that you didn’t get me a more detailed hint while you were working away on it* TEE HEE!

    OMJ!!! It is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!! *faints* I can’t get over the edging sis. It is just stunning...And leave it to my most creative little Sunshine to find a way to mix in some Christmas magic into this card recipe! WHEEEEEE!!! *adds a pinch of candy cane hugglers too just for you*

    The very fact that you included your own gorgeous handwriting sis makes this card even more special (I would give anything to have beautiful handwriting like yours, sis). Amie will be smiling from ear to ear because of all the love you have shown her through this card. You are one extra special little cookie, do you know that? *spins you in happy moonbeam twirls*

    I need you to show me how to make a silhouette card, Sunshine. I am drooling over here. It is just magnificent!!!

    *dumps buckets full of rainbow sparklie pixie dust on you and then hugglers you oodles*

    SOOO LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this card, Sweets! The black, white, and blue are so elegant and deep. And of course you know I love some good swirls and shimmers ;) hehe. Aime is a very lucky girl to be receiving this beautiful card. And as a fellow recipient of cards with your lovely handwriting, I think it was a wonderful touch that you wrote out the sentiment yourself. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. You rocked this challenge! I would never of known you used a Christmas cut on this Absolutely Beautiful card!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooo I love this blue with the blk & white. Thanks for joining us this week at Frosted Designs and sharing your wonderful talent with us!

    Hugs,
    Kristin
    http://lilsweetpeasplace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very beautiful! Love all the sparkle! The words around the frame are perfect for this card.
    Thanks for linking up with Getting Cricky this week!

    JulieK-Getting Cricky DTM
    http://jk-littlebitofbling.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have made a beautiful card! Thanks for joining us at DCD. -Yvette
    cre8tivegirls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I seriously loving the colors you used on this card. Amazing. Thanks for playing along with us at DCD.

    Hugs,
    Patty
    creativediva98.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely stunning! I am sure that your friend will be touched and honored to receive such a precious gift form a great friend. Many blessings to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this card. I love that you used your own penned handwriting as the sentiment. Super great job
    Thanks for playing along on Simply Sunday at Getting Cricky
    Hugs
    Brenda. DTM
    Http://createbyburffrau.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Karen, this card is so beautiful and special (your handwriting looks great)! It's so nice of you to make a card for a friend who's going through a rough time, and I know she will cherish this... You did a great job on this card, as you do with all of your projects! :)
    Amy

    redheadedcrafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful card! I am sure that will lift your friends spirits up.
    Thanks for playing along with us.
    Becka
    Getting Cricky DTM
    www.creationswithbecka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG, this is just beautiful, I love everything about this. Great job on the challenge. Good Luck!
    Thank you for playing our Simply Sunday Challenge at Getting Cricky.
    Hugs :),
    Kathy - Getting Cricky DTM
    http://the3esblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such an amazing card...love it. You did such an awesome job. TFS! ~Shen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job on your card! I love the color choices and that you are sending it to someone to make their day better! Not because its a birthday or anniversary, just something unexpected to make their day! Thanks for joining us at Getting Cricky this week :)
    ~Hugs~
    Becky- Getting Cricky DTM
    www.squirlygirlcreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. wowo very nice card!! love that fairy!! love your handwriting!

    Thanks for playing along with us at Getting Cricky's Simply Sunday Challenge!

    Kathy
    GCDTM
    http://scrappingfelkatz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Karen,
    first of all you know I will be praying very hard for your friend.
    I love your card--it's absoluetly gorgeous and very uplifting.
    Thanks for playing along in my Simply Sunday Challenge!

    Big Cricky Hugs,
    K Andrew
    www.gettingcricky.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am sorry about your friend's difficult time, but she is so fortunate to have you in her life! I know you will be there for her and that will help her tremendously. Your card for her is so uplifting Karen! I love the monochromatic colors and of course all of the sparkle is beautiful. The fairy is just amazing! Excellent work my talented crafty friend! Hugs to you and I hope your finger is better! Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful card and what a great story behind it! I know your friend will love it!! Thanks for sharing your project with us at FD this week! - Ashley, Guest Designer

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you all so much for the sweet and beautiful comments! I appreciate you more than I can say. :o) Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow Karen my friend, look at all these comments. I am so happy there are more and more ladies finding your blog. You are so sweet and your heart so pure, that all who find you are going to be blessed. I wanted to come by to tell you thank you for being one of those lovely women that has blessed me since I started blogging. Your words to me are always so up lifting and bless my heart. I am a old, well older:) crafter that has a few challenges to life, I just can;t do all I want, sometimes I get kinda sad, and then I open my blog and there are people like you. Saying the sweetest things, and I get happy. Thank you, thank you, Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  27. Karen... Wow, wow, wow, and WOW!! :) Not only is this a truly beautiful and inspiring card, but the meaning behind it is absolutely wonderful... Thank you for sharing so much of your thought process while making the card -- What a beautiful treasure for your friend.

    Thanks so much for sharing your talent in the Getting Cricky Simply Sunday Challenge this week!! :)

    Amy :) at www.lovetocrop.com
    Getting Cricky DTM

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love! Have a beautifully blessed day. :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips