To pin my projects to Pinterest, hover over the picture and a Pin-it Button will magically appear.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Sweet Saturday: Chocolate-Glazed Funfetti Doughnuts

Happy Saturday, my sweet friends! I hope everyone had a beautiful week. Thank you for your kind words regarding my last card... you all have such lovely hearts. :o)

Sometimes you just need to play with rainbow sprinkles. It's impossible not to be happy in the presence of such whimsical sweetness. Although I was already plenty happy when the dire need to bake arose yesterday, my heart sparkled even brighter as I poured the rainbow into the batter. And sometimes you need to coat the sprightly sprinkles with a glorious layer of chocolate. I wish I could share these Chocolate-Glazed Funfetti Doughnuts with you for real.
I couldn't resist playing with my doughnut pans again. (And look! My dipping improved!) It was ideal because I didn't have a huge baking window available, but was still able to make a sweet treat for everyone to enjoy. And enjoy they did! The Funfetti doughnut not only provides an explosion of color throughout, but the cake itself is fluffy and flavorful. It had been quite a while since I made a white batter, so it was a nice change of pace having the vanilla flavor shine through so perfectly.

Naturally, chocolate makes everything even better. :o) I almost felt bad covering up the rainbow-dotted doughnuts as I dunked them head-first into the pool of chocolate glaze... but I did permit the bottom half to stay plain. It's all about compromise! ;) A flurry of sprinkles before the glaze sets completes a treat that delights both young and old. :o) My mom has already requested a batch for her to bring to work, which is exciting. The only thing better than baking a sprinkle-laden confection is sharing it. :o)

Thank you for pirouetting on by today! I hope your weekend is sprinkled with love and cheer. :o)
*****

Chocolate-Glazed Funfetti Doughnuts
Yield: 10 doughnuts

Ingredients:
For the doughnuts:
1 cup flour
½ cup cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 egg whites
½ tablespoon vanilla extract
⅓ cup milk
⅓ cup rainbow sprinkles

For the glaze:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 tablespoons milk, plus more if needed
Sprinkles

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425ยบ F. Spray two doughnut pans with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cake flour, and baking powder. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar for about 3 minutes or until fluffy. Add in the egg whites and vanilla, beating 1-2 minutes longer.

Add in half of the dry ingredients, beating until combined. Add in the milk, followed by the remaining dry ingredients, beating just until combined. Fold in the sprinkles with a spatula.

Spoon the batter into the doughnut tins ⅔ full. (Or spoon into a resealable plastic bag, cutting off the corner to squeeze the batter into doughnut pans.)

Bake for 7-8 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center of a doughnut comes out clean. Let cool completely.

Place a sheet of wax paper or parchment paper beneath the cooling rack. To make the glaze, whisk together all of the glaze ingredients into a bowl. If the glaze is too thick for dipping, add a little more milk as needed.

Dip each doughnut into the glaze (or spoon over the tops). Place on the wire rack, topping each doughnut with addtional sprinkles before moving to the next. Otherwise, the glaze will set on the first ones and the sprinkles will not properly adhere.

Makes 10 doughnuts. Serve with a tall glass of milk!

Source: Sugarcrafter


13 comments:

  1. Yummy!!! I bet they tasted as good as they looked!!

    I hope you have a good weekend, my wonderful kind friend
    Hugs Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again you got my taste buds active and my mouth watering... I wish you could share them with us, it looks amazing and the dip is so even!!! My son would flip over this donut... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! I have baked and cooked all week and it is so relaxing.. if a person is stressed over anything at all I recommend baking for it puts the sparkle back into a person's eye.... thank you for sharing your sparkles and your sprinkles!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeh, this looks yummylicious Karen... I just made my first cup of coffee and would like you to pass one over please..LOL! Love your sweet Saturdays, you always share some awesome sweetness. TFS...
    Enjoy your wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh!My!Goodness...Yummy!As I am reading your post I can actually taste the chocolate glaze...lol.I can sure need a few of these right now..lol.I know that chocolate helps me feel better and a cup of coffee.Pumpkin Coffee from Dunkin Doughnuts.Glad that your mom is doing better.:-)My sister loves sprinkles on anything but I love powdered sugar.I believe that I just gained 5 pounds just staring at the doughnut.LOL
    Sending a HUGE amount of bloggie love,
    Migdalia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm!! These look amazing!! I so wish I could taste them!! I can't believe how delicious they look!! I bet they are even more gorgeous in person with the rainbow dotted insides!! My stomach is now growling, begging me to feed it doughnuts!!

    I hope you are having a wonderful, relaxing weekend my sweet friend!! It's over 70 here today...I have all the windows open enjoying the breeze while I can :) It's supposed to be freezing next week :( I hope your Mom is feeling better each day!! Huge hugs my dear friend :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. And really, all there is to say is:

    OH YUM.

    :)

    Nita

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes chocolate does make everything better as do sprinkles...think I am going to put dounut pans on my Christmas list...your sweet treats look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These just look TOO delicious!! And I completely agree that chocolate does make everything better!

    Thanks so much for being a ray of sunshine in my life. I just read your comment to me and rushed right over to give you a virtual hug. You really are a blessing and so full of joy. Thanks so much for sharing it with me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Karen, you are such a delight my friend. My heart is always a little lighter and happier when i leave your sweet blog. So glad to hear you were able to get in a little baking. AND you are so right, nothing is better than being able to share what we have with others.. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh do these look scrumptious!!!! I want to dive right in:) Looks sprinkles look awesome! TFS!
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um sis?

    I NEED THESE!!!!!!!! *tackle devours them all up* TEE HEE HEE!

    HAPPY SWEET SATURDAY EVERYONE!!!!!!! *tosses funfetti everywhere in celebration of this super happy doughnut edition of sweet saturday*

    Gosh Sunshine. I can't stop dreaming about these yummies. They are just too cute to eat! *hugglers them all up* Mmm...the chocolate glaze looks just heavenly. I can smell that gorgeous funfetti aroma all the way from here. TEE HEE!

    Can we bake another batch right now sis? I simply can't wait another second. SQUEEEEEEEE!!!

    *twirls you in happy funfetti spins*

    I LOVE YOU SUNSHINE!!!!!!! (aka the forever rainbow funfetti of my heart)

    *forever rainbow sprinkle squishies*
    ~~~ Christina :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How yummy does this doughnut look?! I've never made doughnuts before but might have to give it a try! Have a great week! :)

    Karen
    craftedwithlovebykaren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love! Have a beautifully blessed day. :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips